Author Topic: walk in the park  (Read 10079 times)

Offline newoldscotts4x4

• locked & lifted
walk in the park
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »
is walk in the park a black or red trail? it doesnt look like a walk in the park, im in a fullbodied fullsize truck locked F/R

77 Scottsdale K10
TBI 350/350/241/205 Triple Sticked:63" rear w/ORD shackle flip:52" front springs:D60/14ff Grizzly/ Detroit locked:41.5" Pitbull Rockers

Offline 1tuffyj

• Insane crawler
  • my squirrels got nuts
Re: walk in the park
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
I think its black coming off cv then across the bottom rock garden then up the long way to the right.   The red line is cutting left up that steeper climb.
the pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger, the hard lesssons make the difference, and the difference makes it worth it.

Offline Red

• Insane crawler
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
Walk in the Park is rated a Red.

The first time I ran it, I was still open in the front and got through it without a spot and pretty much walked the trail.  The hardest part about the trail use to be the climb out when it was covered with moss and loose dirt/rocks.  Now that it has been cleaned off I can literally idle up the hill in 1st gear double low.

Here's a video of Eric and Pete literally making it look like a walk in the park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFccdm20CY

This is when some of the rocks were still covered in loose dirt.
'06 Tacoma - DD

Offline ferguson65

• locked & lifted
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Walk in the park gave us hell the last time out, only my brother made it one sticky treps, and eric miller with tons of throttle and wheels off the ground.  Everyone else gave it hell but got denied.  This past weekend, we all made it up with little to no drama, and made it look like a walk in the park.  It's definitely a red, full bodied rigs might get some tweaked rocker in the rocks proceeding up to the climb.

Scott
81 CJ-7,4.2, NP435, D300, YJ tub, Warn 8274 60 spooled and chromo's, spooled 14 bolt and 42 Iroks on H1's, 107 wb SOLD
2006 Belmont goose---For sale
2013 F350 6.7 CC 4x4 DRW

Offline Red

• Insane crawler
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
Walk in the park gave us hell the last time out, only my brother made it one sticky treps, and eric miller with tons of throttle and wheels off the ground.  Everyone else gave it hell but got denied.  This past weekend, we all made it up with little to no drama, and made it look like a walk in the park.  It's definitely a red, full bodied rigs might get some tweaked rocker in the rocks proceeding up to the climb.

Scott

Was it wet?  I've only ever run it when it was dry or slightly damp.  I watched Eric get his @ss handed to him when the trail was still new and covered in moss and slimy dirt!  He made it but had to winch part way through to get unstuck about 30 feet in.  Tons of throttle used on Pitbull Maddogs.
'06 Tacoma - DD

Offline ferguson65

• locked & lifted
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »

Scott

Was it wet?  I've only ever run it when it was dry or slightly damp.  I watched Eric get his @ss handed to him when the trail was still new and covered in moss and slimy dirt!  He made it but had to winch part way through to get unstuck about 30 feet in.  Tons of throttle used on Pitbull Maddogs.

We had little trouble getting to the hill, but on the hill was just slick.  That first run was RCQ 2011 weekend and it rained hard friday and we tried it sunday.  It was more than damp, it was soaked.
81 CJ-7,4.2, NP435, D300, YJ tub, Warn 8274 60 spooled and chromo's, spooled 14 bolt and 42 Iroks on H1's, 107 wb SOLD
2013 F350 6.7 CC 4x4 DRW

Offline Cyberman

• Insane crawler
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »
I don't want to cause an argument here, but that trail has a blue line, a black line, and then there's the massive red hill climb in it.

I know this, cause I went through Walk in the Park this past Sunday.  There were even "blue line" signs on it.

91 Toyota Pickup SAS, 35s, 5.29s, dual cases, locked front and rear

Offline 94krawler

• Insane crawler
  • kreepy krawler
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »
That trail entrance has changed numerous time's but hasnt been really much of a challenge since the moss wore off.  The rock's back there hook up good now that they are clean. The exit used to be a throttle fest till the moss and leaves got torn up. Not to long ago we put a full bodied 4runner on 35's through it(black/red section) with no issue.
94 toyota truggy for sale

Offline 1tuffyj

• Insane crawler
  • my squirrels got nuts
Re: Re: walk in the park
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
I don't want to cause an argument here, but that trail has a blue line, a black line, and then there's the massive red hill climb in it.

I know this, cause I went through Walk in the Park this past Sunday.  There were even "blue line" signs on it.
Agreed. I never even ran it til I realized it has blue/black lines. I think its false advertisement to say its a red trail. That first rock garden u come to entering from cv is def black. I went right thru the middle of it n had a blast last time. The red climb out I will attempt some day.
the pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger, the hard lesssons make the difference, and the difference makes it worth it.

Offline Lynn

• RC Officer
  • Insane crawler
  • We're Going Wheelin'
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
Here's how this trail came about, may explain the confusion over its rating.   Years ago CV trail got opened.  CV Trail drops down and goes right at the "T".   Later we went to the left with ONE path going up the hardest part IIRC that's where the trail rating may have said it was red.    As more people ran that area, more lines got opened up as the forest down there was kinda thin.  It started to take on an identity itself, so rather than make it an extension of CV Trail, I heard someone say it was no walk in the park, so that's the name it got.  I don't remember who suggested that name.

The trail signs on my computer say it's Black with a Blue Loop.  And on the map it just shows it as black.  I remember printing up new signs last year and putting them up.   Probably because people were fussing that it wasn't red anymore or the red line was an option, not the primary trail. 

Offline Red

• Insane crawler
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:25:41 AM »
Here's how this trail came about, may explain the confusion over its rating.   Years ago CV trail got opened.  CV Trail drops down and goes right at the "T".   Later we went to the left with ONE path going up the hardest part IIRC that's where the trail rating may have said it was red.    As more people ran that area, more lines got opened up as the forest down there was kinda thin.  It started to take on an identity itself, so rather than make it an extension of CV Trail, I heard someone say it was no walk in the park, so that's the name it got.  I don't remember who suggested that name.

The trail signs on my computer say it's Black with a Blue Loop.  And on the map it just shows it as black.  I remember printing up new signs last year and putting them up.   Probably because people were fussing that it wasn't red anymore or the red line was an option, not the primary trail.

Lynn,

I mentioned something about a sign at the exit to you a while ago, because at the time, and even to this day, the exit is REALLY HARD to spot from Trail C.  The first time I attempted to run it Jordan broke a rear shaft, Eric beat the snot out of his rig to get through it, I tucked tail and pussed out!  When I went around to see where he was coming out I couldn't find it!

As for the trail rating, I thought Walk in the Park ITSELF was rated red.  I wasn't referring to any other part of CV.  Either way it's definitely doable with a rig that has only one locker.  I know because like I said the first time I ran it I was still open.  The hardest part running it open was getting past the big rock about 15 feet shy of the bottom of the hill climb out.  However, I think my wheelbase helped me on here as a buddy of ours in a Sami locked at both ends on 37s had a harder time at the same spot I did, but a much shorter wheel base.

This is the spot I'm talking about and the truck too.

'06 Tacoma - DD

Offline 94krawler

• Insane crawler
  • kreepy krawler
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
The red climb out I will attempt some day.

You can do it easily, its much easier than it used to be.  Last time we ran it I stopped in the middle and watched the rest of our group till they caught up then just crawled up in double low.

Offline ferguson65

• locked & lifted
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
The spot that the sammy is on takes a bit of thinking to get through, it's the only spot that gave me trouble both times.  I found if I stayed to the high side it went right up.  As far as the hillclimb, I crawled it in first @3k last weekend, the tires just stuck, but the last time the only way up it was momentum.
2013 F350 6.7 CC 4x4 DRW

Offline 94krawler

• Insane crawler
  • kreepy krawler
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
If you watch the video Red posted I actually shifted on the climb, thats how good its sticks now.

Offline ferguson65

• locked & lifted
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »
If you watch the video Red posted I actually shifted on the climb, thats how good its sticks now.

I really wanted to, but didn't have the balls to try to jam the 435 in second before I lost momentum.  3k on the is probably about 1000- 1500 shy of what it really was...........

Scott
2013 F350 6.7 CC 4x4 DRW

Offline Red

• Insane crawler
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
I found if I stayed to the high side it went right up.

I actually found the same to be true with my truck as well.  I swear that sometimes the lines that look worse ending up being far easier than the ones where our brain suggest otherwise.
'06 Tacoma - DD

Offline 94krawler

• Insane crawler
  • kreepy krawler
    • rightcoast4x4
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
3k on the is probably about 1000- 1500 shy of what it really was...........

:hilarious:

Offline 1tuffyj

• Insane crawler
  • my squirrels got nuts
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »

You can do it easily, its much easier than it used to be.  Last time we ran it I stopped in the middle and watched the rest of our group till they caught up then just crawled up in double low.

its on my list for spring. same day as crawl daddy. my new yrs resolution is to run a few RC reds. doing some suspension changes this winter to improve my rig.

Offline Red

• Insane crawler
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »

its on my list for spring. same day as crawl daddy. my new yrs resolution is to run a few RC reds. doing some suspension changes this winter to improve my rig.

Well if you want to do Crawl Daddy, make sure it's wet, cause it's stupid easy when it's dry!
'06 Tacoma - DD