Author Topic: trailer winch battery  (Read 3523 times)

Offline FSJ-EARL

• Insane crawler
trailer winch battery
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »
Looking to mount a battery on my car trailer to power my winch that is mounted on my trailer.  Currently I use a battery jump start box to power my winch.  Is there a way to charge that battery while the trailer is plugged into the tow rig?  Or do I take the battery out and recharge it after each use?  The winch does not see a ton of use, but enough.  Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks!

Offline Trevor

• one locker
Re: trailer winch battery
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
You can wire it up to the aux pin on your plug if your tow rig has it hooked up. That is powered direct from your tow rig battery, so it will charge. Or we put them on the park light circuit. But you need to put a diode in line so it doesn't back feed power to the lights. And you must run with the lights on to charge it. Another option is just get at battery tender and plug it in at home when not in use.

Offline Brad H

• locked & lifted
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »
If your trailer has electric brakes it already has a small 12v battery that is charged while the vehicle is running. You can add your bigger battery in parallel to this one or replace this with your bigger battery. However if you draw this battery to a low state you run the risk of blowing the fuse on your tow rig for the aux 12v power to the trailer which will result in not charging the battery. I would not tie it into the lights for the same reason, which would also result in loosing your running lights to the trailer.   :2twocents:
Adding to the Fleet on a regualr basis

Offline TimV

• locked & lifted
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
Personally, I would run connectors on the tow rig, and trailer.  Sure you'd have to run a lot of heavy gauge wire, but at least then you know the battery will be good.  Plus no worries about keeping another battery charged.

Offline Trevor

• one locker
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »
The aux wire is large enough to handle the power most cases if it's a factory setup. No matter what you need a fuse close to the battery and smaller then main fuse. So it there is a problem then the fuse will blow by battery and the rest of the circuit will operate as it did. Even if you draw the battery down, it will only take what it is given, unless you are trying to power the winch from the charge circuit. The battery is only a storage device. To just charge it you can use a 16gauge wire, it will just take longer to charge then the common 10-8 gauge wire from your aux pin. Either way it must be protected. My friends BriMar tilt deck charged from the marker lights (battery to power hydraulics and winch) since it was new. Never had a problem unless you didn't turn on your marker lights.

Most trailer companies set up the electric brake battery into the marker lights also. Since every truck has marker lights, and only a few have the aux power installed or hooked up.
Make sure you keep in mind to have it universal if you plan on using the trailer on different tow rigs.

Offline ramchargerbeast

• RC park staff
  • locked & lifted
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
I know a guy that has a battery mounted in a tool box on his trailer for his winch, with a solar battery charger screwed to the lid of the tool box. His battery is always charged when he needs it. He got the idea from "Gearz".
Rausch Creek Rules
2007 Dodge 2500/Hemi  Tow Rig

RCRocs Judge
Bill & Carol

Offline 1tuffyj

• Insane crawler
  • my squirrels got nuts
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
I know a guy that has a battery mounted in a tool box on his trailer for his winch, with a solar battery charger screwed to the lid of the tool box. His battery is always charged when he needs it. He got the idea from "Gearz".
This is the setup I'm doing on mine this summer. Good to hear it works. I like it cuz I can hook any truck up and still use it.
the pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger, the hard lesssons make the difference, and the difference makes it worth it.