Author Topic: Best Trails for Full Size Truck  (Read 519 times)

Offline DVC

• open/open
Best Trails for Full Size Truck
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
I'm new to trucks and off roading, but I just bought a Ram Rebel and I'm feeling the urge to try it out on some trails!

It's currently stock (3.92 rear, LSD, center locker,  33" Toyo A/Ts), but planning on adding 35" BFG KO2s and a 4" AEV lift... so ground clearance and traction are hopefully not a problem for green trails.  But I'd like feedback of which trails are most accommodating to the overall size (length and width) of a full size pickup.

And are there any blue trails that I can safely negotiate with this truck as I gain more skills and experience?

Thanks in advance for the input and advice!

Offline Cyberman

• Insane crawler
Re: Best Trails for Full Size Truck
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »
I'm new to trucks and off roading, but I just bought a Ram Rebel and I'm feeling the urge to try it out on some trails!

It's currently stock (3.92 rear, LSD, center locker,  33" Toyo A/Ts), but planning on adding 35" BFG KO2s and a 4" AEV lift... so ground clearance and traction are hopefully not a problem for green trails.  But I'd like feedback of which trails are most accommodating to the overall size (length and width) of a full size pickup.

And are there any blue trails that I can safely negotiate with this truck as I gain more skills and experience?

Thanks in advance for the input and advice!

Most of the green trails at the park will accommodate your truck.  The Northeast property has a more open layout, with the longest of the green trails.  I would also go on the West and South Properties as well, running the perimeter trails.  There are obviously some tight "Jeep" trails, which would really challenge your ability make "k" turns.  I would probably avoid those.  As for blue trails, I've been with Hummers that have done a few.  But I would be replacing  those step bars before doing anything higher than a green.  Even then, you need to be careful not to bang them off a rock.

I'm sure you will find plenty to do if you make the trip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

91 Toyota Pickup SAS, 35s, 5.29s, dual cases, locked front and rear

Offline DVC

• open/open
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
Most of the green trails at the park will accommodate your truck.  The Northeast property has a more open layout, with the longest of the green trails.  I would also go on the West and South Properties as well, running the perimeter trails.  There are obviously some tight "Jeep" trails, which would really challenge your ability make "k" turns.  I would probably avoid those.  As for blue trails, I've been with Hummers that have done a few.  But I would be replacing  those step bars before doing anything higher than a green.  Even then, you need to be careful not to bang them off a rock.

Great info - thanks!

So I'll stick with greens in the Northeast property, and the perimeter trails in the South and West properties to start.  Good to know that some blues will be OK as I gain skill and experience - and likely some more mods... like maybe the side step bars.  (I've been wondering if I could get away with them as light duty rock sliders to start with, and replace them with real rock sliders when they get banged up... but perhaps I'd be better off replacing them first?)

Offline Cyberman

• Insane crawler
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »

Great info - thanks!

So I'll stick with greens in the Northeast property, and the perimeter trails in the South and West properties to start.  Good to know that some blues will be OK as I gain skill and experience - and likely some more mods... like maybe the side step bars.  (I've been wondering if I could get away with them as light duty rock sliders to start with, and replace them with real rock sliders when they get banged up... but perhaps I'd be better off replacing them first?)
You could make a trip up stock, and you'll do fine.  You just need to be aware of the lowest points of your vehicle, and what would be vulnerable to getting banged up.  Having someone watch your clearances outside the truck would help you understand what it is capable of.  You definitely want a spotter to help guide you through the tough places.  Going on a guided ride, or 101 class would also help tremendously.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

91 Toyota Pickup SAS, 35s, 5.29s, dual cases, locked front and rear

Offline DVC

• open/open
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
You could make a trip up stock, and you'll do fine.  You just need to be aware of the lowest points of your vehicle, and what would be vulnerable to getting banged up.  Having someone watch your clearances outside the truck would help you understand what it is capable of.  You definitely want a spotter to help guide you through the tough places.  Going on a guided ride, or 101 class would also help tremendously.

Thanks again.  I've been thinking of starting out with a 101 class - that's probably the best bet.
Actually, I think it was the Off Road Consulting site that had a warning on the guided tours page about trails being too tight for full size trucks... that's what made me ask the question here.